Five Thoughts on U.s. Open Day 1: Muguruza sends a message, the withdrawal of the post-Draw Murray
U.s. Open: The Lack Of Big Names Must Not AffectCompetition
NEW YORK-Five thoughts from the first day of the last Slam ...
• With Serena Williams who assumes the status ofGarbine Muguruza, expectant mothers from Spain has been regarded as the favorite to win the women's title. This means the back up and Wimbledon victory-more relevant again--continuing the hard courtprowess dipamerkannya earlier this month in Cincinnati. Muguruza has four career titles and two of them are Slam up and down career, encapsulation. Sometimes she Mugu-cruel. Other times the Mugu-sad. In the U.S. Open, he's never been past the second round. On Monday, he started the tournament witha dazzling appearance, defeated Varvara Lepchenko, American veteran, 6-0 6-3, roughly at the time that it takes to read this stuff. Intentional or not, Muguruza release message to the field today.
Schedule, results, Current U.s. Renewal 2017: No. 7Johanna Konta Loses
• On days like this, it is almost impossible to follow the results of the attack. (I wrote this before Venuswas completed, but after Isner won.) But just look at the name and a drifts across the various country codes screen, you will be reminded of the richness of this sport. One player recovered from a coma anddiabetes, despite playing at no. 5 singles on college teams. Another is the daughter of former NFL player suffered from CTE. The third part do not have indoor plumbing. A 32-year-old Israel beating an African American 21-year-old who plays for Georgia Tech,while a stab victim recently bumped into a former No. 1. One of the main journalistic regulations: everyone comes from somewhere; Everyone had a storyto tell. No more than on this sport.
• Still a lot of chatter about the "withdrawal" Andy Murray, a decision Saturday to get out of the event, a day after the couple officially. As a replacement forMurray, seeded fifth, Marin Cilic move to the number-two position-and won its opening on Monday in four sets over Tennys Sandgren the spectacularly named.
Spontaneous reaction to enact a "re-draw" was reasonable. Why not put the top two players left in the opposite part? That we are talking about Federer andNadal-the winner of the last three majors; Classic rival; The two players clashed almost 40 times but never here in New York — just trigger a craving. But, practically, it is not possible. Players see their mateson Friday and react properly. Drew a lefty? You practice against lefties. It landed in the top half? You start hydrating and scheduling in anticipation of beginning Monday. Do the whole Lottery again? This will be quite a bother too many players.
Murray got the censure because it waited so long to reach a conclusion. But this tells me that he just wanted to wait as long as possible before making a decision that is not profitable. USTA has received criticism. But rules are rules; And they were followed in this case. Overall, I think we just chalk it up to someunfortunate event. And parting with objectivity and hope Federer and Nadal meet in the semifinals.
Andy Murray Withdraws From U.s. Open
• In accordance with the tradition of Slam, on Monday, we saw a player who was physically really compromised, still bring the Court, does not intend to win, but every desire to pocketed the money of $50,000 given to the losers of the first round. Naming andpoet, Dmitry Tursunov was a principal early, pullingdown the proverbial ripperger 6-7, 1-6 to Cameron Norrie, former College. It's hard to be too critical. Thisis an expensive career and players who deserve therights to the payday $50,000. But it removes the competitive matches and fans eliminate able-bodied counterparts of a place.
The solution: pay all players who are entitled to the money of the first round. But they are not in physical form to compete, can give their place to lucky loser. Those who are lucky to play with money-losing home-only get paid if they win. Thus, the player who has the right to get their money. The other players got the opportunity. The tournament does not have the additional spending. And the fans get a competitive match. Someone makes it happen. ...
2017-U.s. Open Seed report
• Most of the year, the U.S. began with the openingextravaganza Monday night. Celebrities are calling the Court. Musical acts performing for crowds. (Lenny Kravitz and Phil Collins have been called upon in recent years.) A star-Federer, Nadal.